It is very important that you give notice and book your ceremony with the registrar or our district at the earliest moment

Tel 01228 607 433

22 Portland Square, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 1PE

 Registrar for Dalston Hall - image by Derwent Photography

Giving notice means that you are both free to marry each other and will require you to provide certain documents. You may do this up to one year before the date of your wedding. When you give notice, the Superintendent Registrar will ask questions about you and your partner. He/she will ask your full names and addresses, your ages, whether either of you has been married before, your occupations and your nationalities.
When you go to the Register Office to complete the legal Notice of Marriage you may be asked to produce certain documents, depending on your personal circumstances:

Your 'full' Birth Certificate (unfortunately 'short' certificates cannot be accepted) and any of the following forms of identity

  • Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • Medical Card     

We also require the folowing:

  • Confirmation of Residence e.g. utility bills, bank statements etc 
  • If you have been married before you MUST bring your Decree Absolute/your late spouse’s death certificate (these must be originals as photocopies cannot be accepted) 
  • Change of name deed (if applicable) 
  • Foreign documents should be accompanied by a certified English translation 
  • The current fee     

If either of you are under 18, forms are available from the Superintendent Registrar which MUST be completed by your parent or guardian.

If unsure, please ask the Superintendent Registrar for advice.

More information



click here to go to 

-top of the page -  Your Wedding Day - Wedding ServicesHoneymoon Hideaway - Celebrations

 - Email Us - Contact Us -

- The Wedding Album - dalston hall hotel

Telephone 01228 710 271